The Lambourn Valley Railway line opened on the 2nd of April 1898. It ran from the village of Lambourn to Newbury where it connected with the mainline railway line from Devon to London. Along the 12 miles of line stations or halts were constructed at Lambourn, Eastbury, East Garston, Shefford, Welford Park, Boxford, Stockcross and Bangor, Speen, Newbury West Fields, Newbury.
The Lambourn Valley Railway was an independent company for the first years of operation and in 1905 was merged into the Great Western Railway. The line was subsequently merged into British Railways in 1948 and was finally closed in 1973.
Whilst the railway itself does not exist any more there is still some evidence of its existence in Lambourn and along its original track. Station Road and Station Yard in Lambourn will remain permanent reminders of the days when steam trains would arrive and depart from near the centre of the village.
More information is available at http://www.lambournvalleyrailway.info/
Lambourn Station - 1959
For more infomation visit: http://www.lambournvalleyrailway.co.uk/
The line can be clearly seen on this map from the 1940's
The railway workers
The handbill above announces the last journey of the Lambourn Valley Railway in 1973
A ticket for the last journey of the Lambourn Valley Railway
A ticket from Lambourn to Eastbury issued in 1955
Although the line has long gone, there is still some evidence of the railway line:
The remains of the railway bridge at Eastbury