Lambourn Place, a large Tudor mansion, situated on the north side of Lambourn church, was owned by Sir Thomas Essex who died in 1558. It then passed to Sir Thomas Wilmot for most of the 17th century and eventually to the Hippisley family who rebuilt it in Victorian times. Henry Hippisley made over his Lambourn and Sparsholt estates to third son William Henry in 1886 who then sold Lambourn Place to his brother-in-law Charles Edwards, thus ending nearly 250 years association with the Hippisleys.
'All The Talent' - Mr Humphreys, Colonel Edwards and other prominent local gentlemen on teh lawn of Lambourn Place
The house and outbuildings were used as racing stables in the late 1880's by James Humphrey a prominent trainer, it was pulled down in 1938 after falling into decay.
Mr Humphrey in front of Lambourn Place
There are many stories and myths about the site, one is that the location of Lambourn Place was the original site of one of King Alfred's palaces. Another is that the grounds were once haunted by the last of the ancient family of Hippisley. Henry Hippisley died in the late 19th century, having spent an infamous life oppressing the locals and defrauding charities. Some thought he had even killed one of his servants. Perhaps his spirit was repentant. It certainly had trouble finding peace.
Some evidence of Lambourn Place remains to this date, however all traces of the house itself have long gone.
If you are interested in reading more about Berkshire History do visit David Nash Ford's excellent History of Berkshire website